Stories from the Stringam Family Ranches of Southern Alberta

From the 50s and 60s to today . . .



Saturday, August 4, 2012

Insignificant. A Short Story. Part Two


What would you do?
If you could . . .
Part Two

“Who's to pay today, Lare?” she asked.
Her lab assistant, Larry turned to look at her. “Oh, Hello, Boss! Have a good weekend?”
“Why does everyone keep on asking me that?” Lucy muttered.
Larry stared at her. “I guess . . . because they're wondering if you had a good time?”
Lucy sighed. “Yes. I had a nice weekend. It would have been better if a few less mosquitoes had showed up, but still, we had a good time.”
Larry shook his head. “You and your mosquitoes,” he said, grinning.
Lucy made a face. “Can we please start our day?” she asked.
Larry coloured slightly. “Sorry, Boss,” he said.
He turned and picked up a delicate instrument. “I have been thinking and thinking all weekend,” he said, “going over the results of that final test we did on Friday, and I think I've figured it out. Initially, everything works. But we always seem to come to grief when we try to increase the power. The damper field erodes, spilling energy and causing the entire process to break down, system by system.”
He went on. “I filmed that last attempt and went over it frame by frame.” He held up the device. “I observed two weak joints in the whole process, here and here.” He indicated. “I have reinforced the shielding in those two places.”
Lucy carefully took the device from Larry's hands, cradling it gently in her own. “You think it could be that simple?” she asked.
“I do,” Larry said. “Who was it who said that the simplest solutions are often the right ones.”
“I don't know, but I think he – or she – is a genius.” Lucy grinned. “Or an idiot.”
“I'm going to vote for genius,” Larry said. “Shall we give it a whirl?”
“Lead on,” Lucy said.
The two of them crossed the lab.
“Oh, I had them replace the door in the booth,” Larry said. “Again.”
Lucy grinned. “We are rather hard on doors,” she said.
“Well, I think replacing a door now is a small price to pay,” Larry said.
“And I agree with you,” Lucy said. “But I don't know if the powers that be agree with us.”
Larry sighed dramatically. “Lack of vision, Boss,” he said. “Complete lack of vision.”
Lucy laughed and stood to one side as Larry opened a heavy glass door, then crossed a small inner chamber and pressed a recessed button in a console on the wall.
A door lowered slowly, revealing delicate and intricate wires and connectors. Lucy placed the instrument she held into the only clear spot and fastened it carefully.
Larry attached several connectors.
Then they both ran through the checklist mentally.
“One more time, and I think we're ready to try again,” Lucy said.
“I'll get the list. Let's do this right.” Larry ran to his workbench and came back with a clipboard.
The two of them checked off each item.
“Well?” Lucy looked at her assistant.
“Let's do it!” Larry said.
They both stepped out of the booth.
“I'll get the camera,” Lucy said.
“Starting the countdown,” Larry said.
“Give me ten seconds.”
“Right.”
Lucy picked up a small video camera and carried it back into the booth. “How much time should I give it?” she asked.
“Oh, I think we need at least thirty seconds,” Larry said.
“Okay, I'm going to set it for thirty,” Lucy said, pressing some buttons. She looked at Larry. “We can always increase it later.”
He laughed. “Yeah. If there is a later.”
“Hey! No pessimism allowed!”
“Sorry!”
“Ready?”
Lucy set the small camera on a pedestal that she pulled to the centre of the booth. She smiled down at it. “Ready.”
“Okay,” Larry said. He paused. “Maybe you should join me on this side of the glass,” he added.
“Oh. Right.” Lucy stepped out of the booth and carefully closed the door. She took a deep breath. “Here we go again,” she said.
Larry flipped a switch and spoke into a small mike. “July 19. Process 486.2B. Trial 46.” He looked at the large clock on the wall. “Time: 9:49 AM.”
“Do it,” Lucy said.
Larry pressed the large, brown button in the centre of his console. “We're away!” he said.
Lucy reached out and gripped Larry's hand.
Ribbons of orange light began to swirl about the small booth. More and more. Faster and faster.
The booth began to glow.
“This is as far as we've come before,” Larry said.
“I know,” Lucy whispered. “Turn it up.”
Larry reached for a dial on the far right side. “Ready?”
Lucy nodded jerkily, not taking her eyes from the glowing booth in front of her.
Larry slowly began to twist.
The glow brightened. A high-pitched hum began.
And then, with a faint 'pop', the camera disappeared.
The glow died suddenly and completely.
Lucy looked at Larry, her eyes wide. “Did it . . .?”
“I don't know,” Larry said. He had his eyes on the clock.
For several seconds, both of them watched the sweep of the second hand as it made its way silently around the clock face.
Finally, Larry pushed a second button.
With another 'pop' the camera re-appeared. Sitting innocently on its pedestal as if it had never left.
Lucy caught her breath, and gripped Larry's hand even harder. She started forward.
“Wait,” Larry cautioned, pulling her back. “Let me shut everything down first.”
He pressed several buttons and turned a couple of dials. “Okay. That should do it,” he said.
The two of them made their way slowly to the door of the booth.
Lucy reached for the doorknob. She looked at Larry and grinned. “Ready?”
He grinned back. “Ready.”
She turned the knob.

4 comments:

  1. Haha! I think I'm right - you're such a tease!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm....I wonder what the radiation level is in that booth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I'll put that into the next story!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting! Drop by again!

All of My Friends

Daughter of Ishmael

Daughter of Ishmael
Now available at Amazon.com and .ca and Chapters.ca and other fine bookstores.

Follow by Email

Hugs, Delivered.

Ghost of the Overlook

Ghost of the Overlook
Need a fright?

Google+ Followers

Networked Blogs

My Granddaughter is Carrying on the Legacy!

My Granddaughter is Carrying on the Legacy!
New Tween Novel!

Gnome for Christmas

Gnome for Christmas
The newest in my Christmas Series

SnowMan

SnowMan
A heart warming story of love and sacrifice.

Translate

My novel, Carving Angels

My novel, Carving Angels
Read it! You know you want to!

My Second Novel: Kris Kringle's Magic

My Second Novel: Kris Kringle's Magic
What could be better than a second Christmas story?!

About the Mom

My photo

Diane was born and raised on one of the last of the great old Southern Alberta ranches. A way of life that is fast disappearing now. Through her memories and stories, she keeps it alive. And even, at times, accurate . . .

Join me on Maven

Connect with me on Maven

Essence

Essence
A scientist and his son struggle to keep their earth-shattering discovery out of the wrong hands.

Essence: A Second Dose

Essence: A Second Dose
Captured and imprisoned, a scientist and his son use their amazing discovery to foil evil plans.

Looking for a Great Read?

E-Books by Diane Stringam Tolley
Available from Smashwords.com

The Babysitter

The Babysitter
A baby-kidnapping ring has its eye on J'Aime and her tiny niece.

Melissa

Melissa
Haunted by her past, Melissa must carve a future. Without Cain.

Devon

Devon
Following tragedy, Devon retreats to the solitude of the prairie. Until a girl is dropped in his lap.

Pearl, Why You Little...

Pearl, Why You Little...
Everyone should spend a little time with Pearl!

The Marketing Mentress

The Marketing Mentress
Building solid relationships with podcast and LinkedIn marketing

Coffee Row

Coffee Row
My Big Brother's Stories

Better Blogger Network

Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis
I've been given an award!!!

The Liebster Award

The Liebster Award
My good friend and Amazing Blogger, Marcia of Menopausal Mother awarded me . . .

Irresistibly Sweet Award

Irresistibly Sweet Award
Delores, my good friend from The Feathered Nest, has nominated me!

Sunshine Award!!!

Sunshine Award!!!
My good friend Red from Oz has nominated me!!!

My very own Humorous Blogger Award From Delores at The Feathered Nest!

Be Courageous!


Grab and Add!

Search This Blog

Ghost of the Overlook

Ghost of the Overlook
Need a fright?