Stories from the Stringam Family Ranches of Southern Alberta

From the 50s and 60s to today . . .



Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Insignificant. Part One

By request, a repost of my award-winning short story:

What would you do?
If you could . . .
Part One

“Oh, rats! The mosquitoes are out!” Lucy reached into her beach bag and pulled out a large bottle of bug-repellant. Uncapping it, she looked around at her companions. “Have I mentioned how much I hate mosquitoes?” she asked.
“Frequently,” Marie said.
“Is there a word that means more-than-frequently?” Darius asked.
“How about 'constantly'?” Frank asked.
“Perfect!” Darius laughed.
Lucy made a face at them, then proceeded to rub repellant onto every exposed surface.
There weren't many.
The temperature was in the eighties, but Lucy was kitted out in long-sleeves, long pants, thick wool socks and ankle-high hiking boots.
She put down the bottle and grabbed her beekeeper's hat. “There,” she said, adjusting the net. “I'm ready.”
Darius rapped on her hat. “Hello?” he said. “Can Lucy come out to play?”
Everyone, except Lucy, laughed.
“Shuddup!” Lucy said, folding her arms.
“Honestly, Luce, they're not that bad,” Marie said.
“Believe me, Mare, even one is bad!” Lucy peered out through her screen. “If I could have my way, I would go back to the day the first two mosquitoes appeared and SMASH THEM FLAT!”
“Stop beating around the bush, Luce, and tell us what you really think!” Darius said, laughing.
“Think of what I would save all of you from!” Lucy said. “Think of the service it would be to mankind if they never had to contend with those little, evil blood-sucking parasites!”
“When did we start talking about politicians?” Frank asked.
“I hate you all,” Lucy said.
Everyone laughed again.
“But think of all the companies that would fold if mosquitoes were eradicated from our world,” Marie said. “Every company that manufactures repellant in all its myriad shapes and forms.”
“Well, they'd just have to find other things to repel,” Lucy said. “And sucks to be them.”
“You're a hard case, Luce,” Marie laughed. “A hard case.”
“So now that you've got me up here as mosquito bait in the wilds, what are you planning to do with me?” Lucy asked.
“Well, if we could unwrap you, we were planning on a swim in the lake,” Frank said.
“And maybe a hike and a nice wiener roast around the campfire,” Darius added.
Lucy patted her hat. “Sorry guys,” she said. “But the wrapping stays on. I'll just watch.”
Frank looked at Marie and Darius. “Why do we keep on doing this to ourselves?” he asked.
Marie laughed. “What is the definition of 'insane'? When you keep doing the same things expecting a different outcome.”
“I guess we're all insane,” Darius said.
“Well I am,” Lucy said. “I keep coming out here, expecting a quiet, mosquito-less experience.”
“Yep. It's official. We're all insane,” Darius said.
* * *
“So how was your weekend?” Jen asked.
“Well, most of us had a great time,” Marie said.
Lucy stuck her tongue out at her friend.
Jen laughed. “Let me guess. You tried to get Lucy-the-mosquito-hater out of her armour.”
Marie sighed volubly. “It was hopeless,” she said. “Hopeless.”
“Did the rest of you enjoy yourselves?”
“Yeah,” Marie said. “The lake was warmer than I ever remember it being. The hike was wonderful and the campfire, a great end to a great weekend.”
She looked at Lucy. “If we hadn't had to drag Luce's sorry butt around all weekend, it would have been perfect!”
“Hey! I didn't ask you to haul me out to 'mosquito haven'!” Lucy said.
Marie laughed. “Really, we had a fun time,” she said. “I think even Lucy enjoyed herself, once we moved inside.”
Jen shook her head. “Luce, you really have a thing about mosquitoes,” she said.
“I think there is a word for it,” Marie said. “Phobia.”
“A mosquitobia?” Jen asked.
“Or a phobosquito,” Marie suggested.
Both women laughed.
Lucy shook her head and stomped off to her lab.
* * *

6 comments:

  1. To the LAB, eh ... duh duh dummmmm ... I'll just sit here and wait for part 2!

    P. S. You mentioned you've already had someone break a bone during your vacation - oh, no! I hope the unfortunate breaker (breakee?) isn't in too much pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for part 2! Hurry home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a fun story!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! Poor Lucy though, unable to join the fun. And I have to agree those first two mosquitoes should have been squashed out of existence or never invented in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the only thing holding back the extinction of mosquitos is the fate of repellant manufacturing companies, I would gladly commit to continuing to purchase repellant even after the last whining insect was squished flat! I'd rather pay for a needless item than be covered in mosquito bites :)
    Great story - looking forward to the rest!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Drop by again!

All of My Friends

The Long-Awaited Sequel to Daughter of Ishmael

The Long-Awaited Sequel to Daughter of Ishmael
A House Divided is now available at all fine bookstores and on Amazon.com and .ca!

Daughter of Ishmael

Daughter of Ishmael
Now available at Amazon.com and .ca and Chapters.ca and other fine bookstores.

Follow by Email

Hugs, Delivered.

Compass Book Ratings

Compass Book Ratings

Ghost of the Overlook

Ghost of the Overlook
Need a fright?

Google+ Followers

Networked Blogs

My Granddaughter is Carrying on the Legacy!

My Granddaughter is Carrying on the Legacy!
New Tween Novel!

Gnome for Christmas

Gnome for Christmas
The newest in my Christmas Series

SnowMan

SnowMan
A heart warming story of love and sacrifice.

Translate

My novel, Carving Angels

My novel, Carving Angels
Read it! You know you want to!

My Second Novel: Kris Kringle's Magic

My Second Novel: Kris Kringle's Magic
What could be better than a second Christmas story?!

About the Mom

My photo

Diane was born and raised on one of the last of the great old Southern Alberta ranches. A way of life that is fast disappearing now. Through her memories and stories, she keeps it alive. And even, at times, accurate . . .

Join me on Maven

Connect with me on Maven

Essence

Essence
A scientist and his son struggle to keep their earth-shattering discovery out of the wrong hands.

Essence: A Second Dose

Essence: A Second Dose
Captured and imprisoned, a scientist and his son use their amazing discovery to foil evil plans.

Looking for a Great Read?

E-Books by Diane Stringam Tolley
Available from Smashwords.com

The Babysitter

The Babysitter
A baby-kidnapping ring has its eye on J'Aime and her tiny niece.

Melissa

Melissa
Haunted by her past, Melissa must carve a future. Without Cain.

Devon

Devon
Following tragedy, Devon retreats to the solitude of the prairie. Until a girl is dropped in his lap.

Pearl, Why You Little...

Pearl, Why You Little...
Everyone should spend a little time with Pearl!

The Marketing Mentress

The Marketing Mentress
Building solid relationships with podcast and LinkedIn marketing

Coffee Row

Coffee Row
My Big Brother's Stories

Better Blogger Network

Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis
I've been given an award!!!

The Liebster Award

The Liebster Award
My good friend and Amazing Blogger, Marcia of Menopausal Mother awarded me . . .

Irresistibly Sweet Award

Irresistibly Sweet Award
Delores, my good friend from The Feathered Nest, has nominated me!

Sunshine Award!!!

Sunshine Award!!!
My good friend Red from Oz has nominated me!!!

My very own Humorous Blogger Award From Delores at The Feathered Nest!

Be Courageous!


Grab and Add!

Search This Blog

Ghost of the Overlook

Ghost of the Overlook
Need a fright?