If Alice in
Wonderland was simply a story that little Alice made up, well and good.
I may have made up
a few of those in my day.
Ahem…
But if it’s a
dream, I have to say that I’ve had a few kookie dreams in my time.
But this one tops
them all as the most confusing dream ever!
Ready? Let’s dive
in!
Alice and her
sister were drowsing on the riverbank near their home on a hot summer
afternoon.
I have it on the
best authority that all of their chores were done and they had permission to be
there and weren’t simply ‘hiding out’.
Suddenly a white
rabbit hopped past moaning something about being late and muttering, “Oh, dear!
Oh, dear!”
Now, at first, Alice
simply dismissed him.
Because we all
know white rabbits are well known for their complaints and penchant for
worrying.
Ahem…
It wasn’t until
Alice noticed said rabbit was neatly dressed in waistcoat and carrying a
pocketwatch that she perked up.
I mean, everyone
knows rabbits almost always wear sweaters and sport wristwatches.
Sheesh.
But follow, Alice
did and soon found herself climbing into the rabbit’s burrow behind him and
falling down a long, strange shaft where time lost all reality.
Kind of like when
one is sitting through an interminable meeting.
But I digress…
Alice ended up in
another tunnel. This one filled with doors.
Okay, I have
had that dream…
She found a
little, glass table with a key.
And, of course it
fit the smallest door – which she couldn’t possibly squeeze through.
She found a bottle
of liquid that said, ‘Drink Me!’
Raise your hands,
anyone who says that drinking this might be…oh, I don’t know…dangerous?
Alice did
investigate it for signs of poison. Which, of course would be obvious.
And finding none,
drank it.
Then shrank. (Shrinked?)
You know, the old adage: Drink to shrink!
No? Well, it is
allegorical…
She shrank to just
the right size to pass through the door, then discovered that she left the key
up on the table. And had no way to get it.
Unless she ate
some of the cake under the table in a box labelled, ‘Eat Me!’
Huh. Imagine that.
She did eat
the cake and grew to monstrous size.
Then was so
frustrated, she cried.
Monstrous tears.
The white rabbit
appeared with lovely gloves and carrying a fan, which he dropped when she asked
him for help and with which Alice fanned herself and shrank – again.
You know, this
makes me think of diets I’ve been on. Grow. Then shrink. Then grow.
Sigh.
There was some
fracas with Alice and other animals being washed along in the pool of her tears,
then staging a caucus race to dry out, etc.
And Alice, becoming
increasingly confused after witnessing a Duchess, who’s baby became a pig and a
cook with no sense of either proper culinary technique or decorum, ended
up, once again following a road leading to nowhere.
What followed is the
most important information in the story, supplied by the Duchess’ strange, floating
cat who possessed an even stranger, floating grin.
Alice asked this
creature where she should go, and was told:
‘Where you go is
completely dependant upon what path you choose. If you don’t care where you go,
it doesn’t matter which path you take!’
By this point, I
know which path I’d like to take – right into a different story!
But Alice pluckily
carried on and discovered a giant ‘eat-one-side-and-grow-eat-the-other-side-and-shrink’
mushroom, topped by a hookah-smoking caterpillar.
Now this begs the whole
‘Is smoking bad for caterpillars and other assorted bugs?’ question, but Alice
ignored that, preferring instead, to speak to the caterpillar which brought up,
surprisingly, the question of ‘Who are we, really?’
Alice wandered off
and took an uninvited seat at a garden tea party, where the only participants were
a March Hare, a Mad Hatter and a very sleepy dormouse.
Just the people I’d
invite to a party…
What followed was
a very confused conversation revolving through such topics as bad manners, the
gender of Time, silly riddles, and goofy rhymes.
At which point,
Alice escaped, only to find she had wandered into the original garden she
glimpsed at the beginning of her adventures.
This time, however,
she was able to witness the goings-on in said garden, beginning with strange
horticultural practices, wending through rather brutal Royal decrees, an
unwinnable croquet game played with flamingo mallets and hedgehog balls and
ending with the trial of the century featuring a heretofore unseen knave accused
of stealing the queen’s tarts – and where nearly everyone is ordered executed.
But Alice, grown
tall once more, simply scattered the card-like folk of the kingdom and
found herself once
again sitting on the riverbank with her sister close by.
Whew.
What a story!
The ‘big windies’
I told my family when I was young pale by comparison.
Think of the
trouble I could have gotten into avoided.
Time to find out what's been happening in our lives and
in our minds this month!
You've read mine!
Now go to my sisters and see what they have to share!
Have fun!
and
AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!
If you've enjoyed On the Alberta/Montana Border over the years, You'll love this!
Life on the Ranch
Stories from On the Alberta/Montana Border, Volume 1
Now available from
and
For the first time - ever - your favourite blog posts from On the Border are available in a book.
The first of many volumes!




No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting! Drop by again!